Sunday, July 22, 2007

1st week of work; 2nd week in Geneva


(This picture is the sunflower field I pass on my way to work every morning at the France/Switzerland border; always makes me smile. I’ll miss it when I move next week).

With one week of work finished, bit-by-bit, I am feeling more familiar with my new surroundings. I’ve already been assigned cases, and am learning the ropes. I am excited for what this year will bring, both personally and professionally. My co-workers are from many different countries and cultures; I enjoy the fusion of colleagues from all over the globe. WIPO handles cases involving domain name disputes (out-of-court disputes over website addresses). The cases I am presently handling are only recently filed; I am eager to track them to completion. An answered prayer, I am also pleased to report that my apartment hunt is over. I will be living in a furnished studio in the Petit-Sacconex area of Geneva. A bonus, I am within 15 minutes walk to work; 10 minutes walk from the Lake. I’ve also found a church I think will be my home for this next year, an English speaking one called Crossroads in Ferney-Voltaire, France. A number of people I’ve met there work for P&G out here, which is interesting as P&G has their headquarters in my hometown of Cincinnati, Ohio. Yesterday I decided to go exploring and ride the mountains on the other side of the Lake, Le Saleve, to the Col de la Croisette. This hill was very difficult as it ranged between 8% to 12.5% (steep even to walk up) the entire way. At the top, as with the Jura on the other side of the Lake (the mountains on one side are the Jura, the other side are the La Saleve), the view of Geneva was spectacular. Easily the most difficult hill I’ve ridden yet. Tired at the top, I decided to attempt to break my cycling speed record down the backside but to no avail. Back up to the top was tiring, but the only way I knew home; made it home just in time to see the last hour of the individual time trial of the Tour. My friends Nick and Kerri are expecting their first baby this week, please keep them in your prayers.

No comments: